ATM my home server runs Windows 7 Ultimate (trial mode till end of December) and I am researching free alternatives like freenas, openfiler, ubuntuserver, freebsd. Need this machine to support administration via web gui and provide following services for me
- file sharing via SMB/Samba
- torrenting with webgui
- http web server
- upnp/dlna media serving to multiple upnp/dlna players simultaneously
- continuous data backup (windows live sync style, propagating changes between machines immediately, rather than overnight)
- advanced disk/RAID management, described below.
- seems that vitrtualisation is high on my list too.
Found this thread discussing freenas and drobo functionality, and thought that this post decsribes my needs too.
I'm also looking for the holy grail of RAID solutions and really hope someone can come up with or find something. I want the following features:
I already run freenas in virtualbox on my server with bridged network interface on my server, and it appears as separate machine with web gui on my network. I already see some of the drawbacks of freenas, like no webdav, vpn, virtualisation (the kind that allows me to test freenas in VM like I do it now).
Downloading freebsd, openfiler and ubuntu server to install as VMs too and give ‘em a try this month.